Dental care is an important part of overall health and wellbeing. An attractive smile can improve confidence, create a good first impression, and make it easier to chew food properly. Making sure you have healthy teeth and gums is essential, and this requires regular visits to the dentist.
When it comes to treating crooked teeth or correcting a bad bite, there are two main options: traditional metal braces or Invisalign® invisible braces. Both of these treatments can correct the same types of issues, but they do so in very different ways. So, when it comes to choosing between the two, which one is better? At Lady Bird Dental in Austin TX we want to help you make an informed decision about your dental care needs. Here’s what you need to know about Invisalign vs braces:
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a type of orthodontic treatment that uses clear plastic aligners to gradually move teeth into their desired position. These aligners are custom-made for each patient and must be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours each day. Every few weeks, patients switch out their aligners for new ones as their teeth continue shifting into place. Treatment with Invisalign typically lasts 9 months to 1 year on average.
What Are Traditional Braces?
Traditional braces also known as metal braces are the most common type of orthodontic treatment and have been around for decades. They consist of brackets made from metal or ceramic that are bonded onto the front of the teeth and connected with wires that gently pull them into place over time. Regular adjustments by an orthodontist are necessary throughout treatment which typically takes 18-24 months on average.
The Benefits Of Invisalign vs Braces
- Appearance: Invisalign aligners are practically invisible when worn compared to traditional metal braces which can be quite noticeable.
- Comfort: Because they don’t have any wires or brackets, Invisalign aligners don’t cause any irritation or discomfort like traditional metal braces can.
- Ease Of Care: Invisalign aligners can be easily removed for eating or brushing your teeth whereas traditional metal braces require special tools for cleaning around wires and brackets.
- Time Frame: While both treatments will take some time to complete, Invisalign usually takes less time than traditional metal braces.
The Drawbacks Of Invisalign vs Braces
- Cost: Invisalign treatment is usually more expensive than traditional metal braces because each set of aligners must be custom-made just for you.
- Compliance: For best results with both treatments, patients must wear them as directed by their orthodontist; however this is especially important with Invisalign since these aligners must be worn at least 20-22 hours per day.
- Corrective Ability: Both treatments are effective at correcting many types of misalignment; however traditional metal braces may offer more correction options in certain cases.
When deciding between Invisalign vs Braces there are many factors that should be considered such as cost, comfort level, ease of care, length of treatment time and corrective ability needed. At Lady Bird Dental in Austin TX our experienced team will help you determine which option best meets your needs while keeping your budget in mind too! Give us a call today at 512-805-7911 so we can discuss your individual case in further detail or please schedule an appointment.