At Lady Bird Dental, we are proud to offer dental implant services to our patients. Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth, and they can also help to improve the overall health of your mouth. If you are considering dental implants, we encourage you to read on to learn more about this exciting treatment option. Contact our Austin, TX office if you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation!
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that are placed into the jawbone to support a dental prosthetic. The implant acts as a replacement for the natural root of a tooth, and it helps to provide a sturdy foundation for the new tooth. Dental implants can be used to support a single dental crown, or they can be used to support a full prosthetic. Depending on the extent of your tooth loss, there is an implant solution that can meet your needs.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
Dental implants are an increasingly popular choice for replacing missing teeth. Unlike dentures or bridges, which simply rest on top of the gums, implants are surgically placed in the jawbone. This provides a much more stable foundation for the new tooth and additionally offers benefits to your health that are not possible by other means. Benefits include:
- Improved oral health: Dental implants do not require the surrounding teeth to be altered in order to support the new tooth. This means that your oral health is not compromised in the process. Additionally, because implants are placed directly in the jawbone, they actually help to preserve bone mass and improve the health of your jaw.
- Natural appearance: Dental implants look and feel just like your natural teeth. This provides a level of confidence and comfort that is not possible with other tooth replacement options.
- Improved speech: Dental implants offer an exceptionally sturdy foundation for your new prosthetic. This can help to improve your speech, as implants do not slip or move as dentures can.
- Improved comfort: Dental implants are designed to be a permanent solution for missing teeth. This means that you can eat and speak without worry, and you do not have to remove your implant for cleaning.
- Durability: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime!
Single Tooth Implants
A single tooth implant is just what it sounds like—an implant that is used to support a single dental crown. This treatment option is ideal for patients who are missing a single tooth, or who have multiple missing teeth in different areas of their mouth.
- The implant is placed in the jawbone, and then an abutment (connecting component) is used to attach the implant to the restoration. However, before placing this restoration, the implant must first endure a period of healing which allows the appliance to properly fuse to the bone.
- During this time, patients will have a healing abutment placed to ensure the implant remains accessible and bacteria do not reach the surgical site. Once this process is complete, usually within three to six months, the restoration can be placed.
- The result is a strong, durable, and natural-looking tooth that will blend in seamlessly with your smile.
If you are missing an entire arch of teeth, but are seeking something more dependable than dentures, you may be a candidate for full-arch implants. This treatment option uses multiple implants (usually between four and six) to support an entire prosthetic. The implant placement process is similar to that of a single tooth implant, only a prosthetic is attached during the same appointment as the implant placement.
Initially, the prosthetic will be a temporary version that is used while the implants heal and fuse to the bone. This means that you can walk out of our office with a restored smile! Once healing is complete, you will return to our office to have your permanent prosthetic placed.